Two Maplewood restaurants last week said that they’re no longer giving out straws with drinks — diners will need to ask.
In Maplewood, The Crow’s Nest, The Blue Duck and Robata have all announced on Facebook that they’re cutting out straws for environmental reasons.
The Crow’s Nest supplied these “fun facts” about straw use:
- 500 million straws are used and discarded every day in the United States alone. That’s 175 billion a year filtering into landfills (environment) and littering our waterways and oceans.
- Single-use plastics like straws are used once, for a few minutes, then last for hundreds of years
- Plastic doesn’t biodegrade – it just breaks into tiny particles that are absorbed and eaten by aquatic animals, making their way into our food system
- By 2050, plastic will outweigh fish in the ocean
- Plastic from to-go orders is the source of 269,000 tons of plastic pollution in waterways and our oceans