A fire reported to have started from a barbecue on Sunday afternoon made a total loss of a four-flat apartment building in Maplewood.
Residents of the building, on Greenwood Boulevard, said everyone got out safely, also that the building was a total loss. After the fire was out all windows in the building, including the second floor in the front, were broken out and the inside appeared to be damaged by fire.
Several residents said the fire started from a barbecue on the back porch, attached to the building.
Resident Lori Allen said on Facebook: “A four-plex in Greenwood was totally engulfed with black smoke billowing from the roof. Six fire departments responded: Maplewood, Brentwood, Rock Hill, Ladue, Clayton and St Louis. Possibly Webster as well. The building is a total loss. The siding on the house next to it was peeled and melted from the heat but no other damage.”
Maplewood resident Lisa Clancy said on Facebook that “a Maplewood firefighter said that the Red Cross had arrived and made sure that the families had somewhere to go and were each given $250 gift cards to help address any immediate needs. He also said that he has been in touch with the high school principal to let them know that one of the families had an MRH student. He said he will be in touch with me and with this group as further needs are identified that we might be able to help with.”
Video by Joshua Kryah