Matthew Langston’s discovery of the streetcar rails and cobblestones uncovered during the recent repaving of Big Bend is a good excuse to rerun some of the photographs of the streetcars that once glided over them.
[Editor: see a map of streetcar routes in St. Louis]
Those rails that Matthew spotted were first paved over in 1949. That is the date of this photograph taken near the Yale Loop at Yale and Manchester. The fabulous Browne building can be seen on the left. This image is from the Facebook page, Vintage St. Louis.
In this image the streetcar is leaving the Maplewood Loop (now called the Sutton Loop Park). The street is Sutton. The homes in the background exist today. They are on the 7400 block of Maple. Image courtesy of Dan Walper at Citizen’s National Bank.
This car is probably nearly on top of the old tracks that Matthew saw. At the extreme left of the photo part of the stone wall that still exists at Flora and Big Bend can be seen. This image was discovered on the Facebook page called Vintage St. Louis.
In this image the streetcar is just a little farther west. Much more of the stone wall can be seen. This image is courtesy of Dan Walper at Citizen’s National Bank.
On Flora between Big Bend and Laclede Station Road. Thanks again to Dan Walper.
This image by Yours truly shouldn’t really be called a “then and now”. It’s more like a “then and awhile ago”.
The route went down Flora, across Laclede Station Road, then turned down Bartold and crossed the Edgebrook bridge to get to Webster Groves. This image is from the very excellent book, “King Trolley” by Jim Baker. The photo is by Wayne Leeman.
Seen here from the Webster Groves side. Looking north with the Edgebrook bridge in the background. This photo was found on the Facebook page, Vintage St. Louis.
NWBerra had this to say about a previous post.