For the first seven years of Route 66 — from 1926 to 1933 — the road went through Maplewood’s business district, the Missouri History Museum wrote in its blog recently.
From the Missouri History Museum:
In 1853 the Missouri Pacific Railroad began running between St. Louis and Webster Groves, with a stop at Maplewood (then described as “[at] the River des Peres, a little beyond the Sutton’s”). The town’s main thoroughfare, Manchester Avenue (now Manchester Road), was also heavily traveled because it served as the connector between St. Louis and Jefferson City. By the time Maplewood was incorporated in 1908, the town also hosted the Manchester Line, one of St. Louis’s electrified streetcar lines. It turned around on Sutton Avenue (at today’s Sutton Loop Park) and offered direct, no-transfer service to downtown St. Louis.
Read the full post from the Missouri History Museum.