The Brentwood Rec Center re-opened on Saturday after months of remodeling. In some of the halls are photos from Brentwood’s past. The Brentwood Historical Society has posted the photos, along with descriptions:
First Brentwood Bank, built in 1925, at 8825 Manchester Road. This building has been renovated many times.
Original Brentwood Community Center, at 2443 Annalee Ave. The house, built in 1920, is now a private residence
Brentwood Lanes, built in 1954.
The Brentwood Theatre at 2525 Brentwood Blvd., currently the home of The Refind Room. This building was built in 1939. The movie “Dark Mirror” came out in 1946.
Chris Ruehl General Store was located on Brentwood Blvd, south of Manchester Road. This picture was taken around 1900. Ruehl and his wife were the children of German immigrants.
Brentwood City Hall (1940’s)
Flooding on Manchester Road, at Dorothy Ave., looking east. This picture was taken in the 1950’s.
In the mid 1970’s, Memorial Park, then called Buder Park was remodeled. A large fire pit was located where the current day pavilion stands.
Aerial picture of the construction of the Brentwood Rec Center in 1975.
Back in the 1960-1970’s, the City would flood the area now occupied by Broughton Park for public skating.
Thomas Madden quarry. Located in the area of the current Ace Hardware on Manchester Road. The kids at St Mary Magdalen school, across the street, said the building would shake when the quarry would blast rock. The quarry shut down and became the town dump for many years. A lot of Brentwood history buried in that hole.
Highway 40/64 looking east, at McKnight Road overpass. The highway ends at the barricades just before Brentwood Blvd. This picture is late 1950’s.
Get the 40 South News daily email newsletter.