Breaking the 40 South 2017 top stories into categories, people being fired is number one: the most popular by far was when lifeguards at the Maplewood Family pool were fired over their use of a chat app, second was the firing of four Brentwood city employees in a day.
Then there’s business closings: Pie Five, Waldbart Florist (end of 2017), Tim Hortons; and openings: Homegoods, Side Project Brewing (a long line for beer), Maplewood Wash House, Toasty Subs.
Some locally sad news: an MRH sixth-grader and a well-known Brentwood woman died, a Maplewood family needed funeral costs for their father.
In crime, Maplewood Police identified some carjacking suspects, and a Maplewood woman was shot in St. Louis city.
And in other news: all but one candidate for the Brentwood School Board supported teaching creationism, a Maplewood church housed an immigrant, a rush-hour protest was planned. Here’s the top 20:
- Maplewood Aquatic Center lifeguards fired over social media use
- 4 Brentwood city employees fired in one day, sources say
- Rush-hour protest planned for Brentwood Boulevard & Eager
- HomeGoods moving to Brentwood
- Two suspects in multiple carjackings in Maplewood; updated with suspect descriptions
- Pie Five Pizza shutters
- Maplewood woman shot, killed while riding motorcycle in St. Louis: Post-Dispatch (updated)
- MRH 6th-grader dies unexpectedly
- School board candidates asked to rethink creationism vs. evolution
- Maplewood business closing — what’s coming is “exciting”
- Maplewood Tim Hortons shuttered
- Family in dire need seeking help
- Brentwood’s Louise Charboneau passes on
- The line in Maplewood on Saturday was for beer
- Last year for Maplewood’s Christmas house
- New Maplewood laundromat confirmed, toasty subs return
- Immigrant taking sanctuary in Maplewood church
- Development would replace Waldbart Florist, Jon Paul Designs
- Maplewood Little Caesar’s closes
- Family raises funds for funeral, being evicted, later in the year one of the sons died, Recent MRH grad dies
Though none of Maplewood historian Doug Houser’s made the Google-generated list above, 40 South wouldn’t be the same without Mr. Houser’s frequent contributions. Some of Doug’s 2017 posts:
- Maplewood History: Night of the Cobras
- Maplewood History: Yale Loop Fire
- Maplewood History: Photos of the Streetcars That Once Traveled Those Tracks at Big Bend and Flora
- Maplewood History: What Was In That Building On The Corner?
- Maplewood History: 4 Buildings, 3 City Halls and 1 Case of Mistaken Identity
- Maplewood History: The End of a Dry Spell
- Maplewood History: Billy Jones Unadorned
- Maplewood History: Where The Clean Air Is—Maplewood!
- Maplewood History: Tales of the Harper’s Pharmacy by Bill Jones
- Maplewood History: The Magnificent Cabinetry of the Harper’s Pharmacy Saved!
- Maplewood History: An Explosive Article Brought to Light by the Research of Luke Havel
- Maplewood History: More on the 1970s Redevelopment That Didn’t Happen and One That Did.
- Maplewood History: Last Days of the Wedge