Sandi Phillips is running for the open Maplewood City Council Ward 1 seat in the April 3 municipal election. Her campaign is on Facebook. She sent 40 South a statement:
My name is Sandi Phillips and I am running for Maplewood City Council to represent Ward 1.
Throughout our 23 years living in Maplewood, my husband Chris and I have treasured the great quality of life our city provides. We are excited about Maplewood’s economic growth in recent years, and proud of the way our city has managed this development to benefit all of our residents and neighborhoods. I have been pleased to play a small part in this work through my service on the Planning and Zoning Commission, and I want to continue helping to shape our city’s future.
Originally from Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, I came to St. Louis to attend Washington University. After graduating with honors in 1993, Chris and I moved to Maplewood in 1994. Chris is an electrician, and I am a portfolio revenue manager with InterContinental Hotels Group, which means I consult with our hotels about pricing strategy and competitive analysis. My role involves listening, analyzing, developing a strategy, communicating that strategy effectively, and gaining consensus. I believe these skills will help me serve the residents of Ward 1 if I am elected to City Council.
I have been a neighborhood watch block captain for Marion Court since 2013, and I completed the Maplewood Citizen’s Academy in January 2014. I was appointed to the Planning and Zoning Commission in May of 2014, and currently serve in that role. I received the UMSL Chancellor’s Certificate in Fundamentals of Planning and Zoning in December 2016.
In our free time my husband and I enjoy cycling: we have participated in the National MS Society Bike MS events since 2000. I have also been an adoption coordinator for retired racing greyhounds since 2014. Most of our neighbors know us as “the greyhound people,” as we have met so many while walking Zelda.
Some of the issues that are important to me are:
- Housing: Great neighborhoods contain a mixture of housing options. I will strive to maintain affordable housing in Maplewood and help our residents to “age in place.”
- Schools: I support our public schools and especially our teachers so that MRH will continue to be one of the best school districts in the area.
- Development: Thoughtful planning and zoning is critical to continued success in the development (and redevelopment) within our community.
- Walkability: Ensure that Maplewood is a pedestrian and bicycle-friendly community with safe streets, access to connecting trails and improvements to sidewalks. Our neighborhood watch program plays an important role in our safe streets.
- Economic Development: I will support the development and expansion of small business within our community, both in the current Special Business District as well as to the east and west along Manchester.
- Transportation: I will ensure the needs of Maplewood residents are prioritized over the needs of drivers who simply pass through our community.
I would be honored to continue to serve our community if I am elected to City Council. I look forward to hearing from our citizens and business owners, please reach out to me at Sandi4Maplewood@gmail.com.