Four firefighters, three civilians and one city worker were taken to hospitals following an ammonia leak at the Brentwood Rec Center Tuesday at around 11 a.m. according KMOV. Officials described the leak as “significant.”
Brentwood resident Jennifer Horton reported on Facebook Tuesday morning that the rec center was evacuated, an alarm was going off and fire and police departments had arrived, including Kirkwood, Clayton, Creve Coeur, Affton, and St. Louis Hazmat.
The city of Brentwood reported on its website that the leak occurred when a 3/8-inch line to an ammonia tank broke. A hazmat team from the St. Louis Fire Department arrived and found the leak contained to one room.
According to the city, three firefighters, one city employee and four contractors were taken to SSM St. Mary’s Hospital and Mercy Medical Center.
All firefighters have been treated and released from Mercy. The municipal employee was treated and released from St. Mary’s. One contractor was treated for ammonia burns. None of the injuries are considered to be life-threatening.
See the full report from the city of Brentwood.
Update: Due to ongoing repairs, all activities scheduled at the Rec Center until noon on Thursday have been postponed, the city has reported.
Photos courtesy of Jennifer Horton: